While most of us are happy that we don’t work manual labor, living a sedentary lifestyle can have some negative impacts on your health. Here are some quick exercises you can do while sitting at your desk to help burn some calories and get your blood flowing:
Cardio Desk Exercises
- Turn on some fast music and tap those toes.
- Always take the stairs.
- Jog in place for a minute, sit down work for 5 minutes and repeat.
- Walk and talk to coworkers. Instead of dialing their extension or emailing them, walk over and have a chat. Then go back to your desk and email them to follow up your request in person.
- Wall sits. Leaning against the wall and sitting keeping your thighs parallel to the floor in 30 to 60 intervals. Perfect for some exercise during your bathroom break.
- Squeeze your but cheeks, hold for 5-10 seconds. Repeat as necessary.
- Seated leg raise.
- Standing leg curls from your desk chair.
Shoulder and Arm Workouts
- Empty water bottle or stapler curls. Even the repetitive movement can tone up your arms.
- Fist pump for 60 seconds during some music. Repeat on and off throughout the day.
Chest, Back and Neck Workouts
- Grab a ream of paper and lift it above your head and do some shoulder presses.
- Clasp your hands and invert them. Push them upwards for a good neck stretch.
- Work out your obliques in your wheel desk chair.
- Walk around the office in your chair.
- Ab squeeze for 5-10 seconds for 12-15 reps.
Don’t let your sedentary job keep you from being active. What are some other deskercise that you partake in during the day? Feel free to share them with us!